Friday, August 05, 2005

Week Six

30 July Camp Wightman

it was a arm-aching day. a day spent playing.. even though i was very, very tired. started off waking up @ 8am.. plus the fact that we stayed up until 11pm last night to do devotions.. I was almost dozing off while Rosendo was praying.. but I managed to stay up. was really good because Rosendo had attended bible college & had a masters in christian theology.. challenged by the Lord. =)

we had a game of ‘capture the flag’ but both teams didn’t win when the time was up. haha.. but we actually captured 12 of their team members (or staff I should say) & kept them in jail while we only had like 3 people sent out to attack.. the rest of the ‘offense’ team (me included) were in the ‘neutral area’ (that is no one can be tagged in that zone). we could have won. really.. we had a recce troop (2 actually: dave, julie’s boyfriend & Ronald, jill’s fiancĂ©) who managed to get on a canoe (without paddles mind you!) but they were caught, just before they captured the flag of camp wightman’s, by 2 kayaks.. jill & myself wanted to dash into the kayaks (which were by the water side) but don suggested we got lifejackets.. that’s how we lost. =( we tried to break into their boat shack but failed (they lifted me up but I didn’t manage to ‘break’ the ‘door’). Now making out way back.. tired. Physically. Mentally too.. it’s kinds like that when you meet new people and start making friends.. but I must say I had a lovely time playing football in kayaks.. many of them capsized & I ‘rescued’ like 3 of them.. helped turn their kayaks over & empty the water out.. I complaint to my boss about my aching arms & how I wouldn’t be able to ‘work’ tomorrow.. or carry stuff for that matter.. but.. heh. She suggested that I get sung hye to carry my stuff! =p yay! can now ‘exploit’.. hahahha.. k, going to take a short nap on the drive back.. continue soon..

1 July Rest

it’s a huge word for me.. & other counselors. to be able to get sufficient rest.. it’s really getting into some of us.. like Helen has gotten like 4 ulcers on her tongue.. some of them still abit sick.. hannah’s recovering from her poison (something – they suspect is poison sumac, some kind of plant like poison ivy) but myung hoon, we heard from sung hye had an operation!! wow! that was scary.. imagine that. the doctor that had served him @ Rhode Island Hospital to draw stuff out for blood tests, etc had not taken enough care & they left a ‘hole’ in his spine.. that caused a ‘leakage’ in the fluid and thus the brain was not able to ‘receive’ sufficient stuff (sorry, never a bio student.. pls pardon me if any of this sounds wrong ok?). hence the constant headache.. poor him. it cost $20k! thank goodness there was insurance to cover!!

4 August Woohoo.. read on..

let’s see.. I was not on my contact lenses for 10days.. partly due to my fault of being so careless.. left my contact lenses at jamie’s house.. that was 2 weekends ago.. man, I think I was too sleepy in the morning after the boston trip that I dropped the casing on the floor. realized it sunday night & called jamie’s house in hope that her mum would pick up the phone (jamie said there’s always a chance that her mum cant hear the phone ringing) so that we could check if the contact lenses were there so that if anyone was to go pick it up, the person wouldn’t have to make a wasted trip.. however, time didn’t permit & I didn’t wanna put anyone in a difficult situation.. especially since jamie’s house was in Massachusetts, which meant the next town! It would take a minimum of 50min to & another 50 fro.. that translates to at least 2 hours round trip & I figured Annalize (my boss) wouldn’t allow so I just carried on 4 days w/o glasses. It was hard.. especially since I hadn’t worn my glasses for almost one full year.. harder when I had to deal with kids.. the only good thing was that I was in water adventure & we were in the waters most of the day so I neednt “see” much. heh. switched to glasses on the 5th day (decided to ren – endure & not complain about the certain occasions where I would actually have a headache since the vision on the glasses didn’t match my eye-sight) I was so looking forward to the weekends to maybe go to jamie’s house to get it or have Julie pick me up from jamie’s to camp Wightman.. disappointed as everyone was busy (not blaming anyone but myself).. so.. went to camp wightman as required. but I had fun.. =) think you can get that from my previous entry.. anyway.. my point was that I finally got my contact lens back yesterday when Jamie made a trip back home to get it cause she forgot to bring it back on sunday.. yay! for clear vision! =)

back to the littlest this week.. which also means day camp. yay day camp! hahha.. I think I’ve been working in day camp for most of my summer.. =) pretty thankful to God. had my evaluation done on yesterday. *smiles* I did my best for God. the 4 & 5 year olds were just so adorable.. hee. helping Emily with her 6 year old boys since yesterday.. some of them are absolutely horrendous. But well, need to keep in mind that 2 of them (twins.. yes, twins again.. I’m always associated with twins somehow =p) has ADHD. cant really remember what it stands for but basically these boys have super short attention spans. it’s really hard to work with them.. they throw tantrums when they don’t get their ways (not like other kids don’t but this is a “medical condition” and these kids are on drugs.. though I have no idea how they are diagnosed with this condition). it was tough.. to get their attention, lest ask them to do things.. Emily was so stressed about it, I saw her crying.. poor her. well, at least now jill has arranged for me to help out in the group. 7 boys are a handful, not to mention when kids have some kind of condition.. we do have the largest group of day-campers this week (of the whole summer) & I was initially together with Hannah leading the littlest ones.. but well, I’m doing fine so far, praise the Lord.

good news.. mummy & jie’s meeting me in Taipei! hee. so happy!! at first dad wasn’t very supportive.. said that going there for such a short period of time is just a waste of money.. but well, somehow.. I was praying for it.. I wanted to tour around a little before heading home & back to school (opps, am I naughty or what? =p) over the week, I received an email from my prof, asking me to contact him to meet up with him (ntu’s counselor thingy.. meet up once a year, especially when you fail a subject or more). I asked keng to help me reply him that I’m in USA & that I’ll be back probably in sept only & got another email as well as an sms that he wanted me to call.. was abit afraid. Like what he would say to me & I brought up that concern during staff bible study. & guess what? I called him & had a wonderful chat with him! he encouraged me not to give up on studies & even supported me in my “ministry/missions” over here! yay! said it sure beat staying in Singapore to stay in school to study 2 subjects. He asked me to meet up with him when I’m back.. hahhaa.. happy!

oh by the way, my wisdom tooth’s coming out. actually, teeth. both the bottom ones are coming out. the right one faster & more prominent than the left one.. but all the same. they aren’t painful, just somewhat uncomfortable.. =(

No comments: